Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Worse Weekend Ever

It was Thursday morning. I slept later than usual because I was worn out from the chemo. Everything seemed fine, other than being tired. I was not nauseous which was what I was really worrying about. I got up and got myself ready for radiation. Every day seemed to get a little easier. Once you get in the habit of going and having the same treatment every day you get less nervous about it. I still had to close my eyes when the radiation machine came around to block my vision, but I could get through it. Twenty-five more radiation treatments to go. 
I got home from radiation around noon. I headed for the bathroom, because I was still having faulty wiring with my bladder. I discovered that I was constipated. Now I knew that it was a possibility from both the chemo and the radiation, so I was not too surprised. I have been constipated before so I took some stool softeners and a laxative that my doctor had recommended. I figured in a few hours things would get back to normal. 
I had some lunch and took a much needed nap outside on my balcony. It was a beautiful day and my deck is west facing so I would only get whatever late afternoon sunlight that could filter through the trees to my balcony. I was not allowed in full sun because both the chemo and radiation made my skin much more likely to burn. 
Evening rolled around and I was still constipated. I figured the laxative should start working by morning. Friday came and there was no relief that morning, but I needed to get to radiation so I figured I would deal with it later. Later came and still no relief...I took another laxative and stool softener and took my daily nap. 
That evening the laxative tried to work. I had this incredible urgency but the pain was unbearable. I wanted to be able to go to the bathroom, but the pain when I tried to go was horrible. I was at the point where my stomach was starting to hurt me because I had not gone to the bathroom. 
I won't go in to the gory details, but I spent the entire weekend trying to make some progress. I did not sleep more than fifteen minutes at a time because the urge to go was so great. I tried every home remedy I could find and nothing really helped. I have never had a weekend like this. My body was covered in sweat and I had cold chills at times. I was unable to eat and I was exhausted both mentally and physically trying to get through the weekend. 
Finally on Monday morning I was able to get some relief. Nothing ever felt as good as that moment. I was still pretty weak from the weekend but by Monday evening I was starting to feel like myself again. I concluded that the chemotherapy must be the reason for my weekend troubles. Tuesday came and I felt fine, everything was normal. Tomorrow was chemo again.......

No comments:

Post a Comment