Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Last Chemo?

The next three weeks followed the same pattern as the first two. Radiation was not bothering me nearly as much as the chemo was. I guess I can only be glad that this was my only real side effect during my treatment. I did have some dry skin from the radiation, but it was not much worse than normal dry skin. I have seen the horror stories that some people actually get radiation burns from the treatment! I will definitely take a little dry skin over that!
On June 30th it was my final Chemotherapy treatment. I was so relieved that this part of my treatment would be over as of today. I would still have six more radiation treatments after this, but I could deal with that. I checked myself into the hospital, and at this point the nurses all knew me. As I entered the cancer wing, I just checked the board and found my name and room assignment, handed my paperwork to the nurse at the desk and got myself settled in my room. I had one of my favorite nurses that would be in charge of my chemo. I was so excited that this was the last time I would be doing this. I got my IV and started my fluids. Everything was progressing normally, I was reading a book while waiting for lunch when the nurse from my Oncologist came in to check on me. I told her everything was going fine and I was so glad this was the last chemo. She corrected me and said I had one more chemo left. Oh no! At this point I had enough surprises to last me a lifetime! I sternly told her, NO! This was my LAST chemo! I was mentally prepared for the five treatments, I could not, would not do another. I finished the day, and when my last bag of fluid was done, I unhooked my own IV (told you I was getting good at this). I said goodbye and went home.
I had an appointment to see my Oncologist the next day. I prepared myself to argue with her if she tried to push a sixth chemo treatment. It was not a surprise to me that she did want to talk about it. I told her emphatically that there is no way I could go through another chemo treatment. I think she saw that I was at my breaking point and she reluctantly agreed that I did not have to have another treatment.
I only had five more radiation treatments to get through and I would finally be done with treatment. I just hoped there were no more surprises coming......

No comments:

Post a Comment