Monday, June 4, 2012

Recovery is a Long Road

I was home! There really is no place like home! I really wanted to see my kitties, but of course with my Mom and Stepfather there they were hiding. I was pretty tired from the exertion of the ride home and getting in and out of the car and up the stairs to my apartment, so I just got into bed and fell asleep. You really have no idea how tired you will be for the first few weeks. I laugh when I think of all that I brought to the hospital with me to keep me occupied, books and ipod etc. I did not even open my bag while I was in the hospital, all I did was sleep.
 When I woke up the next day my kitties were on my bed and they were purring, I was so happy to see them. The apartment was quiet since my Mom was driving my Stepfather to the airport, he had to be back at work, but my Mom was staying to help me for a few weeks. Under doctor's orders, I was not allowed to pick up anything heavier than a coffee cup for six weeks, and bending over (to feed the cats) was completely out of the question in the beginning. I got my first good look at my new scar, it was big and ugly. 
There are different ways for a hysterectomy can be performed. There are two basic ways for a hysterectomy to be performed depending on the reason for the hysterectomy.  First there is the MIP or minimally invasive procedure:

MIP Hysterectomy

There are several approaches that can be used for an MIP hysterectomy:
  • Vaginal hysterectomy: The surgeon makes a cut in the vagina and removes the uterus through this incision. The incision is closed, leaving no visible scar. 
  • Laparoscopic hysterectomy: This surgery is done using a laparoscope, which is a tube with a lighted camera, and surgical tools inserted through several small cuts made in the belly. The surgeon performs the hysterectomy from outside the body, viewing the operation on a video screen. 
  • Laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy: Using laparoscopic surgical tools, a surgeon removes the uterus through an incision in the vagina. 
  • Robot-assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy: This procedure is similar to a laparoscopic hysterectomy, but the surgeon controls a sophisticated robotic system of surgical tools from outside the body. Advanced technology allows the surgeon to use natural wrist movements and view the hysterectomy on a three-dimensional screen. (WebMD)

Then there is the open surgery type of hysterectomy:
An abdominal hysterectomy is an open surgery. This is the most common approach to hysterectomy, accounting for about 70% of all procedures.
To perform an abdominal hysterectomy, a surgeon makes a 5 to 7 inch incision, either up-and-down or side-to-side, across the belly. The surgeon then removes the uterus through this incision.
On average, a woman spends more than three days in the hospital following an abdominal hysterectomy. There is also, after healing, a visible scar at the location of the incision. (WebMD)
I had the open surgery type with the vertical incision. The reason my doctor chose this incision was because they needed to visually inspect the ovaries and they needed to remove the lymph nodes. Upon examination it turned out that I had endometriosis on the ovaries.
Endometriosis is a gynecological medical condition in which cells from the lining of the uterus (endometrium) appear and flourish outside the uterine cavity, most commonly on the ovaries. The uterine cavity is lined by endometrial cells, which are under the influence of female hormones. These endometrial-like cells in areas outside the uterus (endometriosis) are influenced by hormonal changes and respond in a way that is similar to the cells found inside the uterus. Symptoms often worsen with the menstrual cycle. Wikipedia
This was the reason I was in so much pain during my period. I guess I can be grateful that I did have endometriosis because that pain was the reason that I went to get checked out and they found my cancer before it spread. So they removed my ovaries, which means that at age 42 I was thrown into menopause. 
Menopause simply means the end of menstruation. As a woman ages, there is a gradual decline in the function of her ovaries and the production of estrogen. There is great variation in how different women experience menopause. About 75% of women have hot flashes. Nighttime hot flashes are more common and may result in chronic sleep deprivation. Mood changes aren't as well understood, but some women report an obvious change in mood. In addition, women may experience vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, and urinary symptoms. These symptoms are often temporary and pass as your body adjusts.(WebMD)
I guess I am one of the lucky 25% that don't get hot flashes. Actually I did not really notice much difference from the way I was before surgery except that I no longer got my period. That was the real bonus of this whole ordeal. I can absolutely say that I do not miss it at all! 
My Mom stayed with me for three weeks and my days were pretty much the same. I would be up for a few hours then take a nap. My first shower after surgery was exhausting, I needed to take a nap afterwards.  I learned that if I was going somewhere the next day, like a doctors appointment, I needed to shower the day before. Anything I did would tire me out so much that I needed a nap. So the first couple of weeks were spent napping and watching tv. I did not even have to energy to get on the computer for more than a few minutes a day, and for me that is unheard of! :D  
By the third week I was starting to feel better and was able to bend down to feel the kitties again. I still got tired easily, but I was able to do more. My Mom left at the end of the three weeks, I was feeling well enough to take care of most things at that point. I was so grateful to her for helping me out during this time, and it was really nice to spend all that time with her. 
I had a problem. I was not allowed to drive for six weeks after surgery. It was only three weeks and I needed to get groceries and get to doctor appointments. I'm glad I had some really good friends that were able to help me out and take me where I needed to go. I was able to convince my doctor to let me start driving at five weeks, which made me feel like I was getting back to normal.
I was starting to feel good, I was five weeks out of surgery and things were starting to feel normal. I figured I could return to work in a couple of weeks and my life could get back to normal. I was wrong. I was going to my oncologist once a week to check on the progress of my healing. At the next appointment my doctor dropped a bomb on me. I needed to have chemo and radiation...

2 comments:

  1. Discover the future of gynecological surgery with Robotic-Assisted Hysterectomy World of Urology presents a comprehensive analysis of VATS-13, highlighting the cutting-edge technique's benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are several approaches to uterus removal surgery in Gurgaon, including vaginal, laparoscopic, and abdominal hysterectomy. Recovery may present difficulties such as exhaustion and mobility limitations. However, loved ones' support is still essential during this time of healing.

    ReplyDelete