Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Support and Side Effects

Before I tell you if there were any side effects, I have something to say about a support system. Having people support you through this ordeal is the only way to get through it. Now I don't want you to think that the only people that supported me during my treatment was my Mom and Step-father. I actually had quite a large support group, and that makes all the difference in the world. I had my MCs and my twin on facebook, my friends T and Q and N who helped me out when I needed it. They all offered moral support and commiserated with me about what I was going through.  The rest of my family, my Dad and brother, though they are on the other side of the country, called me frequently to check on me. My aunt sent me cards continually throughout my treatment, and they really brightened my day. My boss called me periodically to check on me and pass on well wishes from everyone at work, and to catch me up on all that was going on. I even had one of my publisher reps that called me weekly to see how I was doing, thanks D2. Cards and calls really brightened my day and made me realize that I was not alone. I have to say that my faith in God really got me through the dark times. If anyone that reads this that is going through treatment, or is about to go through treatment, make sure you have people that support you. If you don't have anyone, you need to find a cancer support group to find people that are going through the same thing as you are. You can't go through this alone, it is too hard. 


Thursday morning, June 10th. I woke up late again, chemo sure does make you tired. I was hoping that this week would be different, and I would  not have the same side effects. I guess that hope was in vain...today started off the same as last Thursday. I immediately took another stool softener. This week I was not going to take a laxative again because last week, that was what really killed me. My body was trying to move things along because of the laxative, but it was too hard...literally! :O
I guess the chemotherapy drugs must really dehydrate your body. Even with five hours of fluids during the chemotherapy it was not enough. I was drinking a lot of water too, and now I knew why they told me to drink a lot. 
I do have to say that this weekend was not as bad as the first one. I am not saying it was pleasant, I am just saying it was not as bad! I drank lots and lots of water and kept taking stool softeners as often as I was allowed. It seemed like this was going to be my pattern for the next few weeks. Chemo day, then three days of constipation, I can only say I was happy that this was taking place over the weekend, then some progress on Monday and Tuesday I feel normal before it all starts again.  I was going to have to try and compensate for the dehydration and drink even more water than before. Sigh...this was going to be a long month...



No comments:

Post a Comment