Thursday, August 30, 2012

Job Hunting Made...Difficult

Having both lymphedema and coccydynia has made a difficult job more difficult. Yes, I am talking about finding a job. I have to take both of these issues into consideration when I apply for a position. I can't sit for long periods of time because of the coccydynia, and on really bad days the inflammation can be so bad that I have to lay on my side on the couch. Try explaining that to a boss!  The lymphedema is another story.... I can't be on my feet for long periods of time, and at this point I only have a pair of sandals that I can get on my feet.  I will have to start experimenting with my shoes when the weather gets cooler. I also need to put my feet up as much as I can, especially on really swollen days. One more thing that is kind of hard to explain to a boss in a normal work environment.
My options have come down to trying to find a job that I can do from home. I know that not everyone is suited to work at home with all the distractions that can occur. I am very focused, so for me, that is not an issue. Translating my skills that I used at Barnes & Noble to a home based job should not be difficult either. I found a job that I like, but it is a start-up company and it is not really at a position where it will be making money yet. What I really like is that I can do as much work as I want on my own time schedule, and the job is doing internet research, which I love. I really hope that this turns out to be a viable source of income in time. In the meantime, I am still sending out my resume and applying for whatever jobs I am qualified for.

Enough of this serious business...Summer is almost over and Autumn is on the way. Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer and for me that means it is time to start decorating my house in fall colors. I have been working on, I guess you can call it, a pre-Holiday cleaning. I am de-cluttering my house, there are three piles right now, garbage, give to goodwill, and donate to library. I am taking on one room at a time and once this is done my house will be clean and organized again. Not that I don't have a clean and organized house, I am kind of OCD, everything in its place. Every once in a while, I get bored with things being the same and I feel the need to change it up some, and I am at that point right now. Working for Barnes&Noble, I have soooooooooo many books! Twenty-two years worth of books. The last time I got rid of half my books was before I moved to California in 2001, it is definitely time to get rid of books again. I have three book cases full of books

(This is my bookcase after I cleared one out completely. They all looked like the middle one.)

As you can see, it was time to get rid of some books. I plan on clearing out two full bookcases and taking the middle one down to just my favorite authors. At this point, I am at stage two, the two end book cases are cleared, the only one left is the middle one. I hope to work on it over the weekend. I know some people are sad that I am getting rid of so many books, but what good are they doing sitting on my shelf. Someone else can be enjoying them, and the library could really use the donations. The cleaning goes on and one day soon my house will be ready for fall...............




No comments:

Post a Comment